13 September 2010

30 June 2010

And I won't be receiving any for two weeks, because they're trying to keep us out of the mission office while the new mission president settles in.

I'm full of bittersweet feelings right now. I just finished writing my first weekly email to President Araújo. I'm not sure if he's leaving today or tomorrow, but I know that President Cordon will be arriving tomorrow. He goes nothing. President Araújo said that entering the mission field as a mission president is like being thrown onto a moving train. The general authorities pat you on the back and then shove you on, and it's your job to get accustomed. I'm sure that's a perfect metaphor, so we'll be doing allow e can to make President Cordon know that this is the best mission in the world!

I was going to take out a little bit of money on the debit card like Dad suggested, but the bank didn't authorize it. Looks like they lied about that little June 30th detail.

To answer Lyn's questions:

There are 16 missionaries in our zone (including us) and 8 areas (one companionship per area).

We haven't bought dry ice yet because it's really far away from our house. We're planning to go right now or next week.

I like my companion. Generally, zone leaders are not "fubekas" (slackers), and the same goes for my companion. Elder Wright is great, but I have never been so loaded with work in my life. The work, really, is just talking with the district leaders daily to make sure everything is a-okay.

We found an elect family on Friday: Mare, Bárbara, Maria Júlia, and Caroline. They already went to church on Sunday and received an answer that the Book of Mormon is true. I loved Mare's example in praying to God and receiving an answer that the book is true, because she actually looked for the answer. She didn't just pray and wait for something to happen. She looked for the answer in everything that was happening in her life . . . and she found it. On Monday, we were thinking a lot about them, and we had this thought that we should go visit them, even though we didn't have an appointment marked until Tuesday. We showed up, taught about the Word of Wisdom, and felt the Spirit prompt us to invite them to be baptized this Sunday, which we did. And they all accepted! Had we not heeded to the promptings of the Spirit, I don't know what would have happened, but I know they (and we) were blessed for having done that. Now, we're preparing a baptism of a wonderful family.

Your story really touched me, Lyn. I don't think I've ever heard you bear a testimony like that before, and it was wonderful. You blessed the life of that woman, and *someone* blessed you.

The mission choir will be singing at our next zone conference. I'll be directing a song (yet to be chosen, probably from the musical presentation we did last month).

Until next week,
Elder Floyd

No comments:

Post a Comment