03 June 2010

27 May

But my package is in Curitiba! That is not to say that I will be getting it today because I have to pay a fine of R$77.95 to pick it up. It doesn't say on the slip I received exactly why I should need to pay, but I'm assuming I can use the debit card?

Sorry to hear about the graphics card on the computer. At least all of your information is safe!

As far as the choir goes, it is now official that we'll be singing one more time on June 13th in Ponta Grossa. Elder Brown and I will be directing the hymns that Elder Gardner was directing, as he will be going home to Atlanta, Georgia on June 2nd.

We're still teaching Alex's large family. It's not going as smoothly as we would like because it's difficult to visit all of them often, but the work is progressing.

President Araújo gave me a hint during our interview today that I would be transferred on June 2ns. He told Elder Youngberg he would tease me and then asked him if he was ready for a new companion.

Thanks for the photos of Elizabeth's birthday party It looks like Lyn was absent . . . ?

We'll be baptizing Alex's friend Kevin at the end of the week. He'll be the first of the "extended family", and I hope that many more are to follow, even though I probably won't be here.

That's all there is to report right now. Elder Youngberg and I are still working great together. To conclude, I want to recount a story that I heard at Stake Conference on Sunday:

One day, a pastor gave a sermon in which he instructed his congregation on the use of the word "in" as written in the account of Jesus' baptism. He explained that the phrase that "Jesus was baptized *in* the River Jordan did not mean that He was actually in the waters. It simply meant close, or nearby.

After the sermon, a member of the congregation came up to the pastor. "That was the most wonderful sermon I have ever heard," said the man. "I now have an understanding of the scriptures better than ever before. I always found it difficult to understand some Bible stories, but now they all make sense to me.

"I remember reading that Jonah was in the whale for three days. I always thought that a little stretch, but now I understand that he wasn't actually inside the whale; he was just close, or nearby, swimming in the ocean.

"I read that Daniel was cast into the lions' den, and I wondered how it was that he wasn't torn to pieces. Now I understand that he was simply close, or nearby.

"When I read about Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego being tossed into the fiery furnace, I was horrified, but now I know that they weren't actually *in* the furnace, but close, or nearby.

"I've heard that I need to go to church weekly. Now I know that I don't actually need to be inside the building, but close, or nearby."

And finally the man said, "I have always been worried because I am a wicked man, and I read that the wicked are to be thrust into hell. Now I know that they won't actually go into the place, but just close, or nearby! Thank you, thank you for that wonderful sermon. The scriptures have been opened up to me!"

This story isn't about baptism. It's about the importance of doing. When it comes to serving the Lord (or anybody else) it is not enough to simply be close or nearby. We must *do* what the Lord asked us to do, and He will do exactly what He has promised to do. It is my testimony that God fulfills all of His promises, and until the last jot and tittle will come to pass.

Until next week,
Elder Floyd

No comments:

Post a Comment