23 April 2009

22 April 2009

Hello again! Can you ask Justin Lott how long it took him to learn to converse well in Portuguese?

This letter may be a bit short because the keyboard I am using has a lot of the letters worn off, and I have to keep back-spacing.

Guarapuava is an interesting city. There are two areas here, and Elder Cacio and I are assigned to the one that is not in the downtown city. It does get a little hot during the day, but not too much, and it has been cool every night. The way the area is laid out is pretty interesting. Because many (if not most) people here do not own cars, everything necessary has to be within walking distance (there are city buses to take you around, but they cost R$2.20 a pop). It's not like the United States where you have your residential area, and your industrial area, and your commercial area. The stores are mixed right in there with the houses. I admit, though, that the main street is mainly businesses.

Like I said, we walk everywhere. My feet have hurt every day since I arrived. They are finally starting to feel better, but they are not healed yet. I experienced my first Guarapuava rainy day yesterday. I cannot express how glad I was to have waterproof work boots because I didn't have an umbrella!

I was finally able to use my maple today. Pancakes! But we were a little short on baking powder and we aren't supposed to leave the apartment until 10:30, so they were a litle flat. Also, I've been putting my skills (though they may be few) to use. I thought I wouldn't make another cookie for two years, but I was wrong. I didn't have a recipe, so I just eyed the levels of ingredients and based it off what I remembered from work (don't tell Jay :) ). They were a little cakelike, but still deliscious. At least, Elder Cacio liked them.

An interesting though before I continue: There is a old Church video about David Whitmer where he writes a letter testifying that he never denied the Golden Plates were real and he has some friend sign it. Dad should remember it. I have a lot of time to think, you see, because I sometimes zone out during long Portuguese conversations. Who played David Whitmer? I think it was none other than our famous Michael Balam.

There is a couple, Fernando and Daniele, who will be baptized on 9 May. We have been working with them may times a week. They live together and are unmarried, but they will be getting married on 8 May. They are some of the few people whose Portuguese I can understand.

There are also Lucione and her son Lucas. They are also preparing to be baptized 9 May. Good family with good faith.

I'd better go becayse I have a letter to write to President Araujo. Know that you are in my prayers and my heart daily. I feel so lucky to be here in Guarapuava. The people here are awesome. The Lord has a lot planned for this place. I hope all is well in the United States, and I look forward to writing you in a week.

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment